Egg peritonitis

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Lily
Hen
Hen

Egg peritonitis

Post by Lily » 11 Feb 2015, 20:40

Has anyone's hens survived this condition please?
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home."

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Re: Egg peritonitis

Post by Miss Chooks » 12 Feb 2015, 12:04

Sorry Lily I have no idea but I hate it when people read other peoples plights and no-one answers. I'm sure someone will come along and give you the advise. If this requires an urgent answer I would ring a vet, if not then perhaps google or go on FB there are lots of Poultry Pages on there.

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 12 Feb 2015, 13:25

If you google it, some have brought them round with antibiotics.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 12 Feb 2015, 14:22

The prognosis is bleak mostly, but it has been done before. Most experienced keepers will 'do the deed' anyway though because it's rarely worth the hassle, and often just prolongs the inevitable.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 12 Feb 2015, 18:56

I can't really imagine an hen being as it was before the peritonitis. The damage to the insides must be huge after an infection like that. The scar tissue even after healing must stop any further egg laying? The chances of further infection must be quite high? Just my thoughts on the subject but if it was me and mine I would cull after diagnosis to save the misery.
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 13 Feb 2015, 00:52

I had a BlackRock survive it last year - sadly though, she was killed by a fox a couple of weeks after recovery :(
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

Lily
Hen
Hen

Post by Lily » 13 Feb 2015, 11:42

Thanks folks, she has sour crop now as well. When things go wrong they go very wrong. :(
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home."

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 13 Feb 2015, 13:59

hope it all works out lilyx
1 very lovely Golden Retriever 2 Dutch Rabbits ( belonging to my grandson ) no snobs in my bunch of hens 2 Ambers. 1Black Tail 2 Copper marans. 4 White Leghorns 1 Gold Top constantly broody! Nugget the cockerel and his sister petal
Oh and a very lovely husband who puts up with my pets because he loves me very much.

drfish

Post by drfish » 16 Feb 2015, 14:59

Possibly a side effect of doing battle with the infection, knocking her natural defenses out of kilter, causing the flourish of gut bacteria. At least that's generally easily treated.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Lily
Hen
Hen

Post by Lily » 16 Feb 2015, 15:37

Sour crop seems to be under control. I really don't understand how she has this as she hasn't laid for 2 years. She laid a lash and that was the end of her egg laying days...or so I thought. She been fine then I had 3 new girls after my Cockerel max died. I thought she was lonely.
I wonder if eating some layer pellets started her off? She's just been on poultry corn for ages. Could that have started off her laying again?

jillychick
Pullet
Pullet

Post by jillychick » 16 Feb 2015, 20:35

I'm no expert but in my understanding hens hatch with the "said" number of eggs already contained in the overy. When that expires that's it finished egg laying stops. I would assume the lash was an indication of the laying process coming to an end? So maybe it's not egg peritonitis? But some other nasty infection? But as I said I'm no expert.

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 16 Feb 2015, 23:55

Ascites can have similar symptoms,just a thought.

drfish

Post by drfish » 17 Feb 2015, 17:18

Might be worth a trip to the vets for a broad spectrum anti-b. Depends how much she means to you I guess. But if she's past her laying days anyway, then yeah, I'd agree it's unlikely to be egg peritonitis, and as laffinfowl has suggested, something possibly more terminal, cancer related maybe.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.