New 'roof'

Moderator: Moderators

organic chick
Chick
Chick

New 'roof'

Post by organic chick » 27 Aug 2014, 08:54

I thought this may be worth sharing, as we just replaced the cover on our large walk in run. As a community venture we needed something durable but cheap. Our design ended up similar to a poly tunnel roof. For the supports we used water waste pipes (the sort that takes water away from sinks etc.) and inserted eight foot bamboo garden canes into each one prior to fixing. We thought bamboo was strong enough for scaffolding in China so must be good enough for us..). Resulted in a rock steady structure held in place by clickable pipe clips. Polytunnel grade polythene then pulled over and battened into place. Guttering for water harvesting. The result is a drum tight skin that never flinched in the inevitable Bank holiday storms here on Monday. Just waiting for a 1000L water tank at the right price and we are good to go.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

Lily
Hen
Hen

Re: New 'roof'

Post by Lily » 27 Aug 2014, 18:00

Sounds good to me. Pics would be nice so we can see. :grin:
The bamboo won't get wet will it?
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home."

organic chick
Chick
Chick

Re: New 'roof'

Post by organic chick » 29 Aug 2014, 08:58

No Lily the bamboo cane is actually threaded INSIDE the plastic pipe to give total rigidity. A plumber friend gave us the pipe and bamboo was the best way we could think of adding strength. When I was cavorting on my 4000 miles through China solo trip I came to realise there are infinite uses for bamboo so it was not too big a jump for my thought processes. Just a bit of guttering to tidy up and pictures will follow.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser