Silkies

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 22 Nov 2007, 17:02

She's very pretty! You don't want any golden silkies do you? Beautiful young hens and cocks available. Picture on my gallery.

jenny

Post by jenny » 22 Nov 2007, 17:54

LOL - oh no :shock: - don't tempt me - really really no more room!!!

We took this one cos she needed a new home and we love silkies :D

However.... maybe in a year or two when we move and will have lots more room..... :wink:

Magpie

Post by Magpie » 22 Nov 2007, 18:36

kated wrote:Yep, that's right Magpie. I've never taken a sick bird to them though - only gone for preventative medicine. I suppose £25 to look cursorily at 7 silkie chicks in a box and give me a very small bottle of baycox can't be considered extortionate but I don't call it cheap either.
Yeah that don't sound so cheap, I agree. I did post somewhere else on the forum what service I got the first time I went there but I am comparing it to the small animal practice I went to first. They said "It's a chicken" when I took one of my Lakenvelder growers in. I explained that it seemed to have some kind of infection and that it probably needed antibiotics, maybe Baytril? He hadn't heard of Baytril and didn't bother looking it up, but measured out 14ml of an antibiotic meant for cats and put it in a brown plastic med. bottle and told me to syringe 2ml/day down this growers beak for a week. I also got a tiny bottle of Metacam (25ml I think), 5 minutes of his time, a syringe and that tiny amount of A/b cost me nearly £30 :shock: .

Tim

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 22 Nov 2007, 19:47

I know Magpie - just don't get me started on vets and their bills :evil:

~elizabeth~

Post by ~elizabeth~ » 28 Nov 2007, 15:17

The real cost issue with silkies is the Marek's vaccine. Last time I hatched any a bottle cost £20, and the batch went off very quickly. I only hatch small numbers of all my birds so it's really not economical and having lost all my first flock plus the expensive exhibition birds that brought it in, I'd never have any unvaccinated ones again. I don't think the disease is uncommon, as when I've sold silkie hatching eggs in the past it is usually to people who've inexplicably lost all their silkies with symptoms that sound depressingly like Marek's disease :cry:
Last edited by ~elizabeth~ on 30 Nov 2007, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

Bradders

Post by Bradders » 28 Nov 2007, 18:13

I've been breeding Silkies about a year and a half. If you go on to the gallery and James Warwick there be pictures of my Silkies and there Gorges there lovely to breed because the chick are so cute. :) :) The cockerals are just hansome and well for the hens i can't describe them there just beautiful :D :D

fozzer

Post by fozzer » 30 Nov 2007, 12:39

i have four silkies and i must say they are my least favourite. They are the worst layers and i find they are generally less friendly than my other hens.

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 30 Nov 2007, 14:50

Now you see, you need a batch of my silkies which are so tame they rush up to your hands when you put the food and water in the pen! They love to be stroked and crowd up against the wire when you go to talk to them.
I have to admit that this is the first time I have had such tame silkies - I think it was because of a cockeral I introduced (now sadly deceased) who was a real softy. No, they don't lay very well but I had eggs from mine well into November and they make wonderful mums (usually!)

Bradders

Post by Bradders » 01 Dec 2007, 10:08

fozzer wrote:i have four silkies and i must say they are my least favourite. They are the worst layers and i find they are generally less friendly than my other hens.
Yeh i have trouble with eggs it seems that when they get in to there 2 years old they give up on there eggs. My Silkies are getting to know me now but they've always been freindly to me. :D :D
What colour are your silkies fozzer. :? :?

Bradders

Post by Bradders » 01 Dec 2007, 10:13

kated wrote:Now you see, you need a batch of my silkies which are so tame they rush up to your hands when you put the food and water in the pen! They love to be stroked and crowd up against the wire when you go to talk to them.
I have to admit that this is the first time I have had such tame silkies - I think it was because of a cockeral I introduced (now sadly deceased) who was a real softy. No, they don't lay very well but I had eggs from mine well into November and they make wonderful mums (usually!)
They some times do that but my cockeral is just hansome boy he does his jobs like a real lad and i'm happy that i got such lovely set of gold silkie's :) :)

~elizabeth~

Post by ~elizabeth~ » 06 Dec 2007, 14:46

fozzer wrote:i have four silkies and i must say they are my least favourite. They are the worst layers and i find they are generally less friendly than my other hens.
Are you sure you have pure silkies as they should be very docile as this is an important breed characteristic? There are a lot around that seem to be crossbred judging by the incorrect shape and bright red colour of the combs.

Bradders

Post by Bradders » 06 Dec 2007, 18:14

Have you seen then tiny little gold and black cross silkie's because there in my poultry book and they look tiny and they look horrible. I've had black x gold and they are beautiful buthas any one tryed white x gold because i think they would look beautiful. :D :D :D

fozzer

Post by fozzer » 06 Dec 2007, 21:24

i am sure i have pure breed silkies. though i dont really find any breed docile. except maybe sultans.

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Post by Gilly C » 06 Dec 2007, 21:27

I only have Silkies and Guineas and the Silkies are so placid I can even pick up the cockerles easily and I have 3 too many really but no problems

Bradders

Post by Bradders » 07 Dec 2007, 17:00

Same with my Gilly C :D
Lovely birds :thumbleft: