Straw vs hay vs Sawdust

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Straw vs hay vs Sawdust

Post by brooksidepoultry » 13 Apr 2015, 11:04

I'm trying to get my bantams & orpingtons to lay, to put stuff in the incubator, their currently on layers pellets & have hay in their runs to nest on. But I can't seem to encourage them to lay at present, the person I bout my bantams off said they had been on sawdust in their runs & had been laying & the orps haven't laid yet & are on hay & are last years hatch - ideas please xx
A country lass who loves it all x.

ladyplumber

Re: Straw vs hay vs Sawdust

Post by ladyplumber » 13 Apr 2015, 12:53

Sawdust isn't a good idea in nestboxes as it can cause respiratory issues, and straw can give redmite a safe haven. I just use shavings on the coop floor, and in the nest boxes.

How long have they been with you ? it may be that they don't quite feel settled yet .
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

Diane
Hen
Hen

Post by Diane » 13 Apr 2015, 13:01

I just use shavings too - sometimes Aubiose or Easibed - whatever is on offer. (Aubiose rots down nice and fast in the compost heap). Straw and hay are not good.

As ladyplumber has said - if you haven't had them long then they'll have a break from egg laying.

organic chick
Chick
Chick

Post by organic chick » 13 Apr 2015, 19:05

We use paper shreddings in the nesting boxes. It recycles the paper, is cheap and composts down well on the compost heap. Don't worry about the laying, it will start when they are ready!!
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

subruss

Post by subruss » 14 Apr 2015, 08:56

I do not think the bedding has anything to do with if they are laying or not. Orpintons are not the most prolific layers anyway ( LF or SF) and take a long time to mature, other reasons could be as simple as the changable weather, stress etc etc. but as most have said shaving are the best bedding for the floor and nest boxes in a small setup :thumbright: .

Fast Farmer
Chick
Chick

Post by Fast Farmer » 17 Apr 2015, 00:35

Straw ok for the extremes of winter.............thereafter get rid, hay is subject to chemical changes which produce un-heathy spores once dampened or wet by mucky feet so best avoided.

MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Post by MrsMopp » 17 Apr 2015, 11:05

Orps will come into lay when they are ready, and not before - they can be 9 months and still not in lay :shock: Roughly if they were hatched later than May you are unlikely to see an egg before March, although I would have thought the recent spell of warmth and good light would encourage most of them. As has been said, avoid hay in particular as it can carry spores which cause aspillergosis.

carachick

Post by carachick » 01 May 2015, 00:11

I have Orpingtons. I started with two pullets (it was supposed to be three but one turned out to be a rooster) one started laying at six months old and the other at 9 months old. Not necessarily a bad thing - my later layer has proved to be the best over the years.

PixieDust
Chick
Chick

Post by PixieDust » 12 May 2015, 08:49

Another user of Aubiose here. Brilliant stuff.
One wonderful bloke, one Cocker Spaniel. Girls arrived 15/11/14 Columbine - Winter, (Winnie), Bluebell - Pixie, Light Sussex, - Lillith, (Lily).
Black Copper Maran - Autumn, (Pob) RIP 15/12/14