Teats on first time ewe

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Teats on first time ewe

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 15 Apr 2011, 09:32

We are going to London on Saturday (to see new Granddaughter), coming back Sunday, have someone here to feed chooks, sheep and cats but they are not "farm" people (perfectly capable of feeding, cleaning etc... but wouldn't know what to do with a ewe giving birth). The first 2 ewes are due the first week in May, thier first time, but I noticed that when one was laying down this morning that she has teats and small udders!!!!!! She is huge so I suspect more than one - I seem to remember that when my other sheep were first timers they had their udders devlope about 2 weeks before - or should I panic about going :shock: . I can ask someone to be on standby, and the lambing pens are ready, but I know they haven't finished lambing themselves yet.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

manic nonie

Re: Teats on first time ewe

Post by manic nonie » 15 Apr 2011, 11:12

It can depend on the ewe, but gimmers can be upto about a week early so I would be a idea having someone on stand by. I hope lambing goes well
nonie

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Teats on first time ewe - update

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 25 Apr 2011, 09:32

Got the 3 girls in yesterday to trim rear ends and udder area - the 2 due next Monday both have big udders now and are very pink and swollen in the "nether regions", also noticed they have changed shape this morning. Have put them in their lambing pens so I can keep a close eye on them - me thinks they won't go another week. The 3rd one isn't due for another 3 weeks but already has small udders, although no nether region swelling, so I don't think she will go the full time either.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!