Field and sheep

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

JC

Field and sheep

Post by JC » 28 Mar 2011, 20:47

Hello everyone, my names Richard, im 21 from East Sussex and im doing a Countryside managment degree, nearly finished it. Its mainly conservation based however my main interests are in animals, and i should of done an Animal science degree. However i have had expierience working on a sheep farm in the past (couple of years ago) with lambing, general duties etc.

The reason im posting is because im thinking about possibly renting some land and getting some sheep on it, im passionate about farming in general and working the land in any shape or form, just something ive alyways wanted and wondered how practical it would be to do this. Anybody out there with any suggestions as to how hard it would be? it would be great to hear from you.

Im open to any offers for getting my foot in the door with starting up a flock, maybe help at lambing time for free to keep my sheep within someone else's flock, i dont know! im guessing i would need to register myself and get a holders number etc.

Thanks Rich, hopefully someone will post Smiley

eggs

Re: Field and sheep

Post by eggs » 31 Mar 2011, 22:31

i think if you could find a small piece of land to rent for a reasonable price then its easily doable for not much money.
Getting a holdong number is very straight forward and doesnt take long, and alot of the paperwork seems worse than it is.
I would start off with a nice easy breed, nothing native that will be prone to getting out and nothing to expensive.
I would also recomend starting off with some ewe lambs so that you can keep them for a year and get used to them and vice versa before any of the tricky stuff starts. you could even start of with just some orphan ewe lambs if you have the time and space to care for them ( would be a very cheap way of starting).
One thing i would say is start of small, maybe with just 6 females or so, get used to working with sheep, theres so much you cant learn without doing it.
Once you have kept them for a year if you still feel you want to keep them then you can introduce a ram and go from there building numbers up graduelly. I think the main things whith sheep is to make sure you start of with healthy stock, and make sure you have good fences and someone to ask for advice, most of it like chickens is just common sense.