The kids have arrived

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

The kids have arrived

Post by goatlady » 13 Feb 2011, 20:16

Two kids were born on Tuesday, and two today. Today the new mother inadvertently trod on one of them, and now it doesn't seem able to put its weight on one of the back legs. I'll see how it is tomorrow...

The goat that lost her babies last month fell ill again every time we stopped the antibiotics. The vet prescribed another ten days of treatment, and said if this didn't work she would have to be put down. So far so good: she has been off antibiotics for over a week now, and is OK, but I always worry about what I'm going to find each morning. Surprisingly, she is also giving a litre of milk a day. At the moment, I'm throwing this away, as there is quite a long withdrawal period for the particular antibiotic she was on.

Not easy, this smallholding business.

Anyway, here are the new babies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jojosarah

Re: The kids have arrived

Post by jojosarah » 13 Feb 2011, 20:58

Very sweet, OH has said no to goats and turkeys :(

debcat
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by debcat » 13 Feb 2011, 21:26

gorgeous :grin:
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!

julieszoo

Post by julieszoo » 13 Feb 2011, 21:48

Very cute :)

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 13 Feb 2011, 22:44

i've just heard wow they are gorgous from my daughter who is sitting on the sofa looking over my shoulder
i'll echo that gorgous colours
and i still love your pens ,

glad your goat is doing a bit better ,if it's any help a freind had one have a retianed afetr birth and it mummyfide and came out next lambing

ps anything that is worth doing is not easy so proves you are doing well :grin:
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 14 Feb 2011, 00:44

So sweet!

goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Post by goatlady » 14 Feb 2011, 07:32

milkmaid wrote:and i still love your pens
On one of his visits here, my father (who was 80 at the time!) turned an unused double garage into a goatshed for me, with an individual pen for each goat - and an extra strengthened gate for the billy. On one side I have the four pens, and on the other enough room to store my hay and straw and feeds, and we can also get a little ride-on mower and trailer in there at mucking out time. (Unfortunately can't stretch to a tractor.)

I am really pleased with the colours of the kids, too. I think these are the prettiest ones we have ever had. This makes it even more difficult that they will all go for meat. I only have room for four, and they are worth next to nothing as livestock :(. But I will enjoy them while I have them.

Below is a photo of the 80 year-old's handiwork, the day it was finished and before the goats moved in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ilex

Post by ilex » 14 Feb 2011, 07:36

What a Fabulous Craftsman :grin:

debcat
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by debcat » 14 Feb 2011, 08:30

thats amazing :grin:
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!

jojosarah

Post by jojosarah » 14 Feb 2011, 08:48

:grin: Lucky goats, in the lap of luxury

goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Post by goatlady » 14 Feb 2011, 09:18

Yes, most of the local farmers think it's over the top for four goats, and most of them keep many times that number of animals in the same amount of space. But it makes the goats easier to manage, they don't fight with each other and are generally free from disease. Plus the fact that wood is very cheap to buy here, and the labour costs were zero!

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 14 Feb 2011, 09:29

What a lovely thing for him to do for you, and beautifully made :)

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 14 Feb 2011, 09:30

i've found that penned seperatly they are easier to manage you can talior each feed for the milk yeild ,

i have pen envy ,
it's a good example of how goats should be kept i really take my hat off to you
mine after 8 years doesn't loook that good in fact it didn't look as good as that in it's first year ,and the shed has taken a battering ,they've eaten parts of it :oops:

i know the feeling about the goat kids
you just have to enjoy them while you have them i never think about the next stage till further down the line :oops:
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Post by goatlady » 14 Feb 2011, 09:50

Yes, much easier to dispense the feed according to the animal's requirements (milking, pregnant etc). Also, it means that the dominant ones don't hog all the feed and leave the others with nothing. They are all together when they go outside - which won't be this week, as it's just started to snow again.

CP

Post by CP » 14 Feb 2011, 09:55

Beautiful babies goatlady! And their pens are superb. (says she who knows nothing about goats! :oops: ) :grin: =D>
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero