Tuberculosis (TB)

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Tuberculosis (TB)

Post by brooksidepoultry » 30 Oct 2010, 21:41

Heya all listen I dont know how much any of you know about TB but I'm currently reasearching it atm as part of my work as its a Zoonotic disease (A disease that is passable from animals to humans) for part of my Veterinary Nursing course (Which is going great by the way :grin: )

Anyways what I want to know is although TB is a known Zoonotic disease & it is known to be passed from species to species i.e Badgers & Deer through to Cattle & apparently Dogs & Cats can get it also & that humans can obviosly get the disease also although this was more common in the past. Is how the disease is spread from species to species particarly from animals through to humans, I know the disease is a respiratory disease. But what are the symptoms of the disease at differant stages of the disease? I've seen the obvios coughing & sometimes nasal discharges & malnutrition i.e the patient looking like a walking skeleton but what else? many thanks ann xx.
A country lass who loves it all x.

millipup

Re: Tuberculosis (TB)

Post by millipup » 30 Oct 2010, 22:04

:grin: Humans can contract TB from drinking the milk of an infected cow ....being an "Army brat " - ( my dad was in the army and we grew up in several different countries ) I can remember milk as being one of the things my mum would only allow us to have if we bought it from the N.A.A.F.I ,she never trusted any local shops,wherever we were ! :scratch:

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 30 Oct 2010, 22:37

i'm not sure of symtoms but cases are really on the increase ,not though infected milk or movement of stock as all cattle have to be tested 60 days before movement llamas are at risk as well as they seem to have a lot of herd break downs ,i believe last year 17 cats were diagnosed ,1 dog ,a few goats as well for the first time
i hope this helps it's from the states
http://www.ehow.co.uk/list_5904522_bovi ... ptoms.html
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

birdman

Post by birdman » 30 Oct 2010, 23:10

I've nursed patients with blindness caused by TB in the eye and crippled by TB in the bones
also Immunocompromised patients with avian TB which can cause problems basically anywhere!
problem with TB is its so slow reproducing nessitating months of combination antibiotic therapy
Birdman

brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Post by brooksidepoultry » 31 Oct 2010, 09:14

So any idea if it can be passed on through eating infected meat & as a result of it being spread via animals coughing & sneezing? As I know thats how its normally spread from human to human x

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 31 Oct 2010, 14:59

birdman wrote:I've nursed patients with blindness caused by TB in the eye and crippled by TB in the bones
also Immunocompromised patients with avian TB which can cause problems basically anywhere!
problem with TB is its so slow reproducing nessitating months of combination antibiotic therapy
Birdman
My Mum caught tb of the intestine as a child, probably from milk. She stopped growing and became very thin so was given a high calorie diet. All they could do back then.

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 31 Oct 2010, 15:50

a freind of mine saw sent to saint marys in portsmouth for a while ,it was where they sent people who had tb ,she said it was horrible she's 90 now,are they called sanitoriums ? ,strangly enough our family first came to the world of cows though tb ,our family in italy was the first in the village to own a cow something my grandfather was very proud of ,the mayor of the village's son had tb and he was told a diet with lots of milk was good for him ,so my grandfather brought a cow between him and the mayor and he was allowed to sell any milk left over after the son had had 2 pints a day
it's also believed to be passed though wee
i think there has been a large increase as everyone used to be innoculated ,you very rarely heard of anyone getting it ,schools seem to have more breakdowns now ,which would have to be person to person not infected meat or mil
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

brooksidepoultry
Pullet
Pullet

Post by brooksidepoultry » 31 Oct 2010, 16:15

Hmm thanks guys I've now learned you can also get it after eating the infected meat of an animal & from drinking the milk of infected animals as well but in the uk its very rare anyway especially via those 2 methods because of TB testing in cattle. But I'm more keen on finding out about the animal to human transmission of the disease or vice versa. Does anyone know about the compensation things with defra? As I know positive reactors & some inconclusives have to be sent for compulsory slaughter & post mortemed but I also know the farmers are compensated for their losses but I'm not sure how its done exactly because I think defra values the animal & pays the farmer what they think its worth, & I've also heard to make their money back sometimes the meat off these animals from the non affected parts of the body are used in the meat chain xx