Branding

If you keep other animals for productive purposes, whether for meat, wool or bi-products, here's the area to chat. I mean, you do realise chickens are the gateway drug to other animals, don't you?

Moderator: Moderators

shire horse girl
Hen
Hen

Branding

Post by shire horse girl » 24 Aug 2010, 18:45

Hi guys is it true that all branding , including freeze branding , is now banned in Scotland ?

manic nonie

Re: Branding

Post by manic nonie » 24 Aug 2010, 21:50

I think it was heat branding that was the big thing but not sure bout other types.
???? :?

Greggorio

Post by Greggorio » 25 Aug 2010, 06:24

i'd be surprised if freeze branding is. Though with microchips now why on earth would you need to

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 25 Aug 2010, 09:15

I,d say you,re right about the freeze branding not being banned but the need for it is there because not all police forces or vets posses scanners to read microchips when called to identify a horse either stolen or in a dispute,the freeze brand is a good visual identity there for all to see. :-k

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 25 Aug 2010, 09:54

Apart from which, cattle are often freeze branded which makes distant identification easier.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

manic nonie

Post by manic nonie » 25 Aug 2010, 12:44

I prefer freeze branding as well because it is visal without a scanner, which is a good thing if someone takes your horse. With cattle freeze branding is very useful especially in the palour because its easy to see, but at a distant it often doesn't make a difference I've found because must herdman won't need it (spose the same goes in the palour to tho)

scottish vamps

Post by scottish vamps » 19 Nov 2010, 00:04

Its not banned in scotland, i've got a freezebranding appointment on the 3rd dec to get riley freeze-branded and micro-branded. Its been a nightmare to get it tho as the company only come to scotland every 9 months! :shock:

debcat
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by debcat » 19 Nov 2010, 00:07

have you had anymore plaits put in??
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!

scottish vamps

Post by scottish vamps » 29 Nov 2010, 23:13

no more, thankfully! i'm just trying to keep sane about the plaits.